Missions Team – 2022
The Missions Team at Plymouth UCC is a very vibrant part of our church! Since the beginning, Plymouth church has always believed in giving back and being first and foremost a pillar in our community. Our current Missions Team has tried to balance the need of Burlington and local projects, then concentrating on regional projects, followed by the needs here in our own country and very importantly the missions of many projects globally.
We try to be very diverse in our Missions so all entities that are close to our hearts are funded to the best of our ability. Our funds come from a portion of a once-per-year fundraiser sponsored by the church and private donations. COVID has challenged us but we were still able to support many organizations that needed our help more than ever. We look forward to 2021 and being able to be stronger than ever.
The Plymouth UCC Missions Team has funded and supported these programs:
- The Cozy Night Project – TLC Burlington-providing comfort baskets to children entering the shelter
- Love Inc – Community dinners, PB&J Collection, Christmas Food Bank Donations
- Riverview Manor Senior Luncheons
- Burlington Community Christmas Dinner
- Valentine Cookie Project
- Weekend Lunch Program
- National Fire Safety Q
- Camp Scholarship Assistance for our church members
- Soles4Souls – Shoe collection
- Milwaukee Rescue Mission
- The Night Ministry-Chicago
- Exploit No More – Human trafficking project
- United Church Of Christ Church Camps Capital Campaign
- Church World Service, Emergency Hygiene Kits, Emergency School Kits, Emergency Clean-Up Buckets, and Blanket Project
- Help a Hero – Hygiene collection
- College Care Packages
- Feed My Starving Children – Sponsor and packing meals
- Holy Joe’s Café – Offering support, serving coffee, and counseling our military personnel
- Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes – 150 Boxes packed last year
- We have also helped at the Chicago Distribution Center for this project.
- Haiti Allies and Haiti Mosaic Project – Building projects and sponsoring scholarships
- Building Cambodia Project – Sponsoring projects and scholarships
- Compassion International Give Safe Water for Life
We thank our church community and friends who sponsor the funding to make these projects possible.
Originally established in 2005 as the Plymouth Advocates for Peace and Justice, the Social Justice Team works to educate the congregation and the wider Burlington community about critical issues such as environmental awareness, human rights, and fair trade.
On the second Sunday of every month, this team puts on a Fair Trade sale after the worship service. We sell coffee, cocoa, tea, chocolate, and snack foods from Equal Exchange as well as soup, dip, and cookie mixes from the Women’s Bean Project. We also supply the congregation with coffee and sugar for our Sunday Coffee and Conversation, funded by free-will donations from Plymouth’s members and friends.
Proceeds from these sales have gone to support small farmers and their families in Third World nations as well as to help sponsor Burlington Prayer Breakfasts and appearances by guest speakers such as Haiti’s Mona Augustin and Ahmed Quereshi from the Islamic Society of Milwaukee.
Members of this team have also been active in the process of helping Plymouth become an Open and Affirming Church.